chase820: (Default)
[personal profile] chase820
So, I have the flu. This is not a bad cold masking as the flu, but the real deal. The nice nurse-practitioner at the clinic yesterday confirmed it. I'd already diagnosed myself via Web MD, and feeling like death for two days also clued me in. Right now I'm on acetominophen, ibuprofen, tamiflu, amoxicillin, and phenylalanine, taken at rational intervals. But I also feel human again, and that's something.

It's hella cold (low 40s) here in La Florida today, so I'm staying in with the cats. At least only being on campus two days a week means I've missed only one day of classes, though it was the first day, which I hate missing. But I don't think my students would have appreciated being infected, just like I don't appreciate being infected by the colleague I know is responsible. And yes, I will hold it slightly against her, because she could have and should have stayed home if she was sick. Admin doesn't care if you miss a bit of pre-planning as long as you have a good excuse. Infection with the deathflu certainly counts as one.

In between bouts of hacking and fever, I managed to watch "The Sign of Three."



Those of you familiar with my fic Miracle Year know that I have a very long and complex psycho-sexual history for my own version of Sherlock, so I'm not bothered that the canon version is acting so inexplicably. I understand why others are bothered, though. They're putting him way down on that Autism spectrum, which would make his career as a consulting detective impossible. You can't simultaneously be an all-knowing badass and a needy savant. That doesn't work at all. Cumberbatch loves doing comedy and maybe he asked for more of it, and that's why they're giving him so many silly moments. While I did enjoy some of them, like the bit with the napkins and The World's Most Pathetic Bachelor Party, others fell flat.

Also, the episode was terribly repetitive. Mrs. Hudson didn't need to make the "Marriage Changes Everything" speech twice. Sherlock didn't need three cute moments with the head bridesmaid. John and Sherlock didn't need to tell each other how awesome the other was multiple times. If the writers can't figure out how to fill 90-minute episodes, they should switch to seasons of 6 60-minute episodes. Then they could arc things properly and cut out all the filler.

As far as predictions for the final episode go, I think Mary is toast. While they could keep John married for a season or two (canon did), John with a wife and baby just doesn't work. I think that either Mary is evil and the pregnancy is fake, or Mary and the fetus will die tragically in some way, allowing John to return to Baker Street full time. I don't care which way they go, as long as Mary goes. I know lots of people like her, but I think she's a big distraction from the pairing I'm really interested in. Not that it matters that much, since in my own headcanon Mary is Mark and John got over him years ago.

In any event, I see why people are disappointed in this season, and I don't think it works as well as the best episodes of Seasons 1 and 2. But since I never take any Sherlock canon too seriously, as there is so much of it and I have my own, I'm content enough with what I'm being given. Even if they somehow keep Mary and baby around, I suppose I'll get over it. It's not like we'll be seeing the baby until 2016 or so anyway, unless this next episode really does take a huge leap forward in time.


Other than that, I'm just staying in and staying warm, using my unexpected sick-break to re-watch House of Cards on Netflix, which I really like even though I know it's cheesy and Kate Mara gets on my last nerve. I hope you folks are doing the same (the staying in and staying warm bit, not necessarily being irritated by Kate Mara. I'm sure she's a nice person and she probably needs the work.)

Profile

chase820: (Default)
chase820

March 2014

S M T W T F S
      1
2345678
910 1112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031     

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 22nd, 2026 04:27 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios