Thanks for the link, Mustangsally!
Bob Chipman on Star Trek: Into Darkness
This review makes some of the points I made in my review yesterday, and he also makes more points that I agree with but didn't include. My favorite non-spoilery quote:
"Even for someone like me, who was kind of mixed on the first movie, Star Trek: Into Darkness is a big step backwards and a huge letdown. It's funny: A lot, and I mean a lot of the problems in the suddenly-looking-much-better-in-comparison reboot can be laid at the feet of Abrams and his writers simply not getting Star Trek. But it turns out watching them pretend to get it is much, much worse. The only thing worse than lame, pandering fanservice is a poor imitation of lame, pandering fanservice."
This is the problem in a nutshell. JJ Abrams has admitted he's an old-school Star Wars fanboy, not a Star Trek fanboy. Never has it been more apparent than in this lame mess of a sequel.
And I'm still mad that he blew up Vulcan. A true Star Trek fanboy would never, ever have done that.
Bob Chipman on Star Trek: Into Darkness
This review makes some of the points I made in my review yesterday, and he also makes more points that I agree with but didn't include. My favorite non-spoilery quote:
"Even for someone like me, who was kind of mixed on the first movie, Star Trek: Into Darkness is a big step backwards and a huge letdown. It's funny: A lot, and I mean a lot of the problems in the suddenly-looking-much-better-in-comparison reboot can be laid at the feet of Abrams and his writers simply not getting Star Trek. But it turns out watching them pretend to get it is much, much worse. The only thing worse than lame, pandering fanservice is a poor imitation of lame, pandering fanservice."
This is the problem in a nutshell. JJ Abrams has admitted he's an old-school Star Wars fanboy, not a Star Trek fanboy. Never has it been more apparent than in this lame mess of a sequel.
And I'm still mad that he blew up Vulcan. A true Star Trek fanboy would never, ever have done that.