The move continues apace. Ninety-five percent of my stuff is at the new apartment, furniture aside. I've gotten all the boxes shoved into the bedroom closet and one other corner, so there's room to put the furniture in place. Tomorrow I'll take one more load of small things over, and then everything else (not much) will go after the furniture has been moved.
I'm actually moving a day earlier than I anticipated. The movers overbooked themselves on Friday, and when the moving manager called to confirm today, he wanted to start the move at 7 AM! Um, no. I told him I could do it Thursday, and he seemed really relieved about that. I hope his relief ripens into an enthusiastic work ethic on moving day.
They don't have much to do except move furniture, and after the two hours I originally paid for ($250, not counting tip) it's another $80 for each additional hour. Again, no. If they can't move my little bit of stuff in two hours or less, I really did pick the wrong company.
I may also ask the movers to drop off the one bookcase I don't want at Goodwill, since the thrift store is on the way. It's been such an ordeal trying to get rid of that bookcase. At times like these, I am reminded that my town is only about three-quarters of a town at best. In my parents' town, there are no less than three thrift stores who will be more than happy to come pick up your crap. Not here, and I honestly don't understand that. Aren't you more likely to get decent furniture if you'll come and get it? Are the thrift stores just not that hard up? I don't know.
In happier news, as I was moving things in today, I noticed one of the leasing agents, accompanied by two ladies, walk into the apartment across from mine. I caught a glimpse of the apartment's interior and realized that it's one of the leasing models. Score. Not only will the corridor be extra quiet, but it also means the area around my apartment will be kept spic-and-span at all times by maintenance. It also means one or two less cars to compete with for parking. Really, all things considered, I couldn't ask for a better location.
This whole move so far has had an auspicious vibe to it, like I moved at just the right time into just the right place. Perhaps my five years of tolerating this tiny hobbit hole will have a happy ending. As I've said, I know this new apartment won't be perfect. But it would be hard-pressed to be worse than where I have been. Just room to move around, no stairs to climb, and a lack of giant cockroaches would be a huge improvement.
I'm actually moving a day earlier than I anticipated. The movers overbooked themselves on Friday, and when the moving manager called to confirm today, he wanted to start the move at 7 AM! Um, no. I told him I could do it Thursday, and he seemed really relieved about that. I hope his relief ripens into an enthusiastic work ethic on moving day.
They don't have much to do except move furniture, and after the two hours I originally paid for ($250, not counting tip) it's another $80 for each additional hour. Again, no. If they can't move my little bit of stuff in two hours or less, I really did pick the wrong company.
I may also ask the movers to drop off the one bookcase I don't want at Goodwill, since the thrift store is on the way. It's been such an ordeal trying to get rid of that bookcase. At times like these, I am reminded that my town is only about three-quarters of a town at best. In my parents' town, there are no less than three thrift stores who will be more than happy to come pick up your crap. Not here, and I honestly don't understand that. Aren't you more likely to get decent furniture if you'll come and get it? Are the thrift stores just not that hard up? I don't know.
In happier news, as I was moving things in today, I noticed one of the leasing agents, accompanied by two ladies, walk into the apartment across from mine. I caught a glimpse of the apartment's interior and realized that it's one of the leasing models. Score. Not only will the corridor be extra quiet, but it also means the area around my apartment will be kept spic-and-span at all times by maintenance. It also means one or two less cars to compete with for parking. Really, all things considered, I couldn't ask for a better location.
This whole move so far has had an auspicious vibe to it, like I moved at just the right time into just the right place. Perhaps my five years of tolerating this tiny hobbit hole will have a happy ending. As I've said, I know this new apartment won't be perfect. But it would be hard-pressed to be worse than where I have been. Just room to move around, no stairs to climb, and a lack of giant cockroaches would be a huge improvement.