Whew!

18 Dec. 12th, 2012 03:03 pm
chase820: (Default)
[personal profile] chase820
Papers are done, grades are in. Only one student complaint about grades so far, and he was polite about it. It's going to take a couple more days for me to completely de-stress from the experience, but I am optimistic.

Cats taken to the vet this morning, which is another huge weight off my mind. Because Atty and Gus were feral kittens, they've never been the most sociable cats (just ask Mustangsally). A vet visit is even more traumatizing for them than for many cats, and it always makes me feel a bit guilty. It involves shoving them both into carriers and listening to them whine like orphaned kittens all the way to the vet. Even though I know it must be done, and it's good for them, it stresses me out.

We had a new vet today, a small, cheerful Latino man who was quite pleased when I told him that Atty and Gus, while fearful and frozen, are never violent at the vet's. "I'd rather deal with an angry pitbull than a nasty cat," he said to me. Given my own experiences with nasty cats, I totally understand. (For those of you newish to this blog, I was bitten by a feral cat a couple of years ago and had to go through the whole rabies waiting-period thing, which freaks me out to this very day.)

He said Atty and Gus were so nervous, they were sweating through their paws! I didn't even know cats could do that. But they took their shots easily enough, though both of them tried to resist the anti-flea pill I requested be given to them. Fleas are an ongoing battle when you have indoor/outdoor cats in La Florida, but a Capstar will at least knock out the existing critters.

The vet also said that Atty has an unusually strong heartbeat, especially for her size. A strong heartbeat under those circumstances suggests a very strong adrenal reaction, which might explain her dominant behavior. It may also mean she'll outlive us all, which is just fine with me.

Anyway, I took my darlings home and fed them a big lunch of their favorite gooshy food (Meow Mix Chicken and Beef, which Sal and I agree is some sort of kitty crack.) Now we're all going to take the afternoon off, as I am as worn out as they are. It's not easy taking care of things, is it?

Profile

chase820: (Default)
chase820

March 2014

S M T W T F S
      1
2345678
910 1112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031     

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 22nd, 2026 11:49 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios