Hello all! Here we are, back again. This update will cover John's actions post-Reichenbach, and the one after that will cover Sherlock’s. I would have liked to include both characters, but John’s situation turned out to be a bit stickier than I'd anticipated.
I’ve also made a few other changes to the fic overall. Originally planned as a two-part story, Miracle Year is now divided into thirds. Book One, which has already been posted, covers 1993-2008, the years before John and Sherlock met. Book Two, now in progress, covers 2010-2012, the early years of John and Sherlock’s relationship and the Reichenbach debacle (Reichenbacle?). Book Three will cover 2013, Sherlock’s return from the dead and its effects on his relationship with John. A trilogy is one of the stablest structures, so I think this will work better than the original format.
Big props again to my lovely and talented beta, Mustangsally. You all have her to thank for Julia’s big reveal. I wouldn’t have thought of that myself. Finding that aspect of her character opened up all sorts of interesting possibilities, which will sort themselves out in Book Three. You all will see what I mean once you read Chapter 22.
Thanks very much for your continued attention and feedback. Writing this story has been a real pleasure so far, and a lot of that is due to the amazing audience, both here and at AO3. So props to you all, too!
Title: Miracle Year
Pairing: Sherlock/John (main) Sherlock/Other and John/Other (ancillary)
Rating: NC-17 for language, explicit sex, violence, and drug use
Disclaimer: I'm making no money. This is just for fun.
Dedication: This is for you, M'Sally. Because you couldn't find any more S/J you liked to read.
Summary:
This is the story of how Sherlock became Sherlock and John became John, long before either knew there would ever be a Sherlock and John. This is the story of how their relationship began, with all its silent negotiations and quiet denials. This is the story of how the silence came apart after the Reichenbach fall. This is the story of how Sherlock returned from the fall, and how he and John put things back together again, in quite a different way than before. This is also the story of Mycroft and Sherrinford--we all know that third Holmes brother is out there somewhere--and also other canon characters, though some have changed a bit since Sir Arthur's day.
This is a story about loneliness and fate. This is a story about parents and brothers. This is a story about cocaine and Shepherd's Pie. This is a story about London, and Los Angeles, and Afghanistan. This is a story about love. Also, sex. There's quite a lot of that. This is a story with a happy ending, though at times it will make you sad.
This is the Sherlock and John story I've been wanting to tell for a very long time. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I have enjoyed writing it.
Miracle Year, Chapters 1-23
I’ve also made a few other changes to the fic overall. Originally planned as a two-part story, Miracle Year is now divided into thirds. Book One, which has already been posted, covers 1993-2008, the years before John and Sherlock met. Book Two, now in progress, covers 2010-2012, the early years of John and Sherlock’s relationship and the Reichenbach debacle (Reichenbacle?). Book Three will cover 2013, Sherlock’s return from the dead and its effects on his relationship with John. A trilogy is one of the stablest structures, so I think this will work better than the original format.
Big props again to my lovely and talented beta, Mustangsally. You all have her to thank for Julia’s big reveal. I wouldn’t have thought of that myself. Finding that aspect of her character opened up all sorts of interesting possibilities, which will sort themselves out in Book Three. You all will see what I mean once you read Chapter 22.
Thanks very much for your continued attention and feedback. Writing this story has been a real pleasure so far, and a lot of that is due to the amazing audience, both here and at AO3. So props to you all, too!
Title: Miracle Year
Pairing: Sherlock/John (main) Sherlock/Other and John/Other (ancillary)
Rating: NC-17 for language, explicit sex, violence, and drug use
Disclaimer: I'm making no money. This is just for fun.
Dedication: This is for you, M'Sally. Because you couldn't find any more S/J you liked to read.
Summary:
This is the story of how Sherlock became Sherlock and John became John, long before either knew there would ever be a Sherlock and John. This is the story of how their relationship began, with all its silent negotiations and quiet denials. This is the story of how the silence came apart after the Reichenbach fall. This is the story of how Sherlock returned from the fall, and how he and John put things back together again, in quite a different way than before. This is also the story of Mycroft and Sherrinford--we all know that third Holmes brother is out there somewhere--and also other canon characters, though some have changed a bit since Sir Arthur's day.
This is a story about loneliness and fate. This is a story about parents and brothers. This is a story about cocaine and Shepherd's Pie. This is a story about London, and Los Angeles, and Afghanistan. This is a story about love. Also, sex. There's quite a lot of that. This is a story with a happy ending, though at times it will make you sad.
This is the Sherlock and John story I've been wanting to tell for a very long time. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I have enjoyed writing it.
Miracle Year, Chapters 1-23
no subject
Date: 2012-06-14 08:22 pm (UTC)From the depths of hell I cheer for thee!
no subject
Date: 2012-06-16 10:08 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2012-06-16 10:38 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2012-06-16 10:55 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2012-06-14 10:21 pm (UTC)Okay, this was an interesting and pleasant-enough update, but I feel a bit like I just watched the second movie in a trilogy--like you were laying the groundwork for all the exciting things that will happen next. *pouts* I guess I will have to play the waiting game. They say anticipation makes things better...I'm not sure how your writing and story can get any better, but I'm game to try if you are. :D
Also missed Sherlock, but that's more a perpetual thing than anything to do with you personally. (Reichenbachle! *shakes fist*)
I liked Julia, but I had my suspicions about her ... "condition" (for lack of a better, non-spoilery word) from the get-go. Sneaky lady--she just might be a good match for Mycroft. Terrifyingly competent, intelligent, already knows about the skeletons in the closets because she might have put them there...
I was wondering if you were going to go to the John-as-sperm-donor thing, because I feel like you heavily hinted at it, but the moment sort of...passed by. I think that would be as good a solution as any, if Harry really wants a child that is related to her.
I liked that John hadn't really dealt with the Sherlock thing yet. It comes across quite easily that he's still in denial, at least at the beginning of the update. And I think the extended period of denial with intermittent eruptions of rage seems very IC for him.
Also, I thought John might have been texting Sherlock (!!!) which would have been fascinating. But alas, it was Neville, who I had plum forgotten about.
And apparently short sandy-haired Watsons like tall, willowy, curly-headed brunettes. Who knew? (I liked the parallel.)
Finally, and I swear this is it for now, I liked that you hinted that Moriarty wasn't dead. Which is as it should be, imho.
(Also are you planning on bringing Sonny back into the story? I ask because of reasons.)
no subject
Date: 2012-06-16 10:13 pm (UTC)Julia ended up being quite likeable for me, once I turned her from ice-queen Anthea into somebody human. She would be a very good match for Mycroft in many ways, but alas, he has ISSUES. Different than Sherlock's, but equally crippling.
John-as-sperm-donor would be one solution, but remember that Harry only just realized that she wants a child related to her. Also, John isn't in the best place emotionally right now, so Harry isn't likely to make such a request until she thinks her brother is a bit more stable. In a few months, however, who knows?
Thanks again for the continued feedback! I really look forward to your reactions.
no subject
Date: 2012-06-18 12:28 am (UTC)I saw this post and it reminded me a lot of how you described Mycroft and Sherlock's relationship a few updates back.
IDK, thought you might enjoy it. *hugs*
no subject
Date: 2012-06-18 12:37 am (UTC)