Checking In

18 Oct. 30th, 2012 05:41 pm
chase820: (Default)
[personal profile] chase820
I'm glad to see that the peeps on my friendslist have weathered the Frankenstorm. I just hope they get the power back on in Manhattan soon! Those pictures of the dark skyline had a terribly apocalyptic feel. (I hope all the folks in Jersey and elsewhere also get power, of course.)

Adding to the basic suckiness of things is the news that LJ is doing something horrible again. I've had a backup Dreamwidth journal for ages, and if the redesign is as bad as rumored, this may be the impetus to switch once and for all. The only problem is the comments from the last year or so--since I started double-posting--can't migrate on their own, can they? Blast. Anyway, I'm Chase820 there too, if anybody wants to friend!

Otherwise, things are quiet. It's turned cold the last couple of days--cold for Florida, which means 50s and 60s--and this has made the cats skittish. Gus flat-out refused to leave last night, so I had to let them both stay in. Atty woke me up at 4 AM to go out, but Gus was like, "I'm good, thanks."

He wouldn't leave this morning, either. I set up a litterbox because I was deathly afeared he would pee in my house, but when I got home from work it appeared untouched, except for the marks of Atty's feet. When I set it up this morning, she went and sat in it for about five minutes, as if to say, "I don't know what the hell this is, but it's mine." Litterbox training her when I move is going to be so. much. fun.

In apartment news, I discovered today that one of the nicer apartments in town is building a new phase which should be ready next summer. So I may have the option of moving into a brand new apartment, which would sure be a nice change from vintage "charm." (Yes, I say that with the most ironic of air quotes.) Even if I don't end up in the new place, the existence of it will probably drop the rents a bit all across town, which can only be of the good. While I'm prepared to pay more for a newer, bigger apartment, my pockets are not endlessly deep.

Any new place will be better, because this place is falling apart. Did I mention that the shelf in my closet fell down yesterday? Just out of the blue, fell down. One of the shelf braces went, and it made me very peevish. I wasn't so much angry that it fell and left all my clothes and things in a heap, because these things happen. But as I stood there, staring at the mess, I realized that I had absolutely nobody to call. The landlords are out of town (of course) and if I had asked Caretaker, I would have gotten a shrug, a smile, and "I don't know, Chase. Do you want me to call [Handy Landlord]?" I could call Dad for help, but my father shouldn't have to drive 50 miles round trip to do maintenance on an apartment he doesn't own.

Luckily, I found an extra closet brace from where I took down an inconveniently placed shelf when I first moved in, so I fixed the shelving myself. Yes, I am all empowered, but that is not the point. I should have maintenance support when I need it. But y'all have heard all this before.

That's all the news that's fit to print, kittens. I'm going to sneak a walk in before sunset, then do some grading. My life is so exciting I could just die.

Date: 2012-10-30 11:29 pm (UTC)
usedtobeljs: (Default)
From: [personal profile] usedtobeljs
Alas for the Dreamwidth exodus, but anyway...good thoughts for whatever new place you find!

Date: 2012-10-30 11:34 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] chase820.livejournal.com
Well, it's not certain yet. I want to see the redesign first.

Date: 2012-10-30 11:38 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] empresspatti.livejournal.com
Oy! I'm so sad to see the mass exit of my flist! Please don't lose touch - I hate to lead a Chase820less existence.

Date: 2012-10-30 11:44 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] chase820.livejournal.com
As I told ljs, it's not definite. Let's take a look at the redesign and then I'll see how I feel.

I would miss you all, too. :)

Date: 2012-10-31 03:51 am (UTC)
spikewriter: (NaNoWriMo 2012)
From: [personal profile] spikewriter
The only problem is the comments from the last year or so--since I started double-posting--can't migrate on their own, can they?

You can -- go the the Dreamwidth import page and select "Comments" as the only import. It does go through your tags, entries, etc., but I just did it and only my comments that hand't been previously imported were added.

I'm not definitely going, but I think I'm looking at seriously making DW my primary journal.
Edited Date: 2012-10-31 03:52 am (UTC)

Date: 2012-10-31 05:57 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] chase820.livejournal.com
Ah, good to know. I'll try that this evening.

I'm waiting to see just how bad the new update looks, but if it is, as rumored, Tumblresque, I'm outta here.

Date: 2012-11-02 03:35 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] jackshaftoe.livejournal.com
The shelf in our rental's master bedroom closet fell a few months ago. Most of the DIY kits don't have adequate mounting hardware so I've learned to keep a box of 75 lb drywall anchors/screws around for emergencies and when I'm putting one those shelves up where there wasn't one before.

We went to the big, raucous PDX Halloween event last weekend. At one point, a middle aged guy walked buy who was wearing nothing but a top hat, sandals, and a smile.

Mrs. Dr. Shaftoe said, "I thought this was a 'costume mandatory' party."

I replied, "Not many people wear top hats every day so I guess they figured that he was good."

Date: 2012-11-02 03:12 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] chase820.livejournal.com
For some people, it's any excuse to get naked!

As for my current rental, I'm just trying to maintain status quo until I can get the hell out of here. Given that this is an indifferently maintained 90-year-old property, it can be a challenging proposition.

Date: 2012-11-02 09:45 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] jackshaftoe.livejournal.com
Portland is an odd place.

Maintaining any structure in Florida more than 10 years old is a challenge with the heat and humidity, and I'm talking about good, pre-bubble construction.

Go out to Ruskin in about five years and you'll see a slum that used to be some of the most productive tomato fields in the world.

Page generated Sep. 22nd, 2026 11:52 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios