So. When we last left our intrepid heroine, she had partial electricity but still a wonky washer/dryer. Last Wednesday, Landlord had the bright idea of calling the power company to make sure that the power coming in was okay. The man the power company sent checked everything out, and he said their equipment was fine.
He then took a look at the box to the house and said that the new washer/dryer probably needed to be on its own circuit. Happily, one thing he was able to do was get the other part of my lights/television working. I don't know if the circuit had thoroughly cooled by then, or if he just had the magic touch, or whatever. But he restored all my electricity, so I was sanguine. When I left to see my parents for a couple of days on Thursday afternoon, everything was kosher except for the w/d situation.
Not a problem. I did laundry at my parents' house this weekend, and was content to wait until Landlord came into town next Thursday to take a look at things in person. I returned this afternoon, anticipating nothing but putting my laundry away and grocery shopping.
Caretaker catches me in the yard as I'm heading towards my house, and tells me that they fixed almost everything while I was gone. (By they, I later learned meant that he fixed things with Landlord advising him over the phone. Yeah.) Except, Caretaker tells me, the refrigerator outlet isn't working, so that is hooked up by extension cord into a plug in my bedroom. But they checked over everything else, including the washer/dryer, and it's all fine.
Uh-huh. I go upstairs, feeling justifiably skeptical, and find that my goddamn a/c isn't working. Apparently when they were checking everything over oh-so-carefully, they missed the fact that it's ninety fucking degrees in my house.
I stomp downstairs and tell caretaker I have no a/c. He looks worried and says he'll call Landlord. Landlord tells him to go buy some new breakers and see if changing them will help. Of course it doesn't. Then, FINALLY, they call the electrician they should have called a week ago. But whether one can actually get out here on a weekend is a real toss-up. I may be without a/c in humid Florida weather for at least 48 hours.
If there were even the tiniest bit of doubt that I need to move ASAP, this has removed it. My mother thinks I should move in December, and though it would be better logistically to wait until next June, I am seriously considering it. I think I've already stayed here way too long. And to be honest, I don't think I can take another nine or ten months of this.
He then took a look at the box to the house and said that the new washer/dryer probably needed to be on its own circuit. Happily, one thing he was able to do was get the other part of my lights/television working. I don't know if the circuit had thoroughly cooled by then, or if he just had the magic touch, or whatever. But he restored all my electricity, so I was sanguine. When I left to see my parents for a couple of days on Thursday afternoon, everything was kosher except for the w/d situation.
Not a problem. I did laundry at my parents' house this weekend, and was content to wait until Landlord came into town next Thursday to take a look at things in person. I returned this afternoon, anticipating nothing but putting my laundry away and grocery shopping.
Caretaker catches me in the yard as I'm heading towards my house, and tells me that they fixed almost everything while I was gone. (By they, I later learned meant that he fixed things with Landlord advising him over the phone. Yeah.) Except, Caretaker tells me, the refrigerator outlet isn't working, so that is hooked up by extension cord into a plug in my bedroom. But they checked over everything else, including the washer/dryer, and it's all fine.
Uh-huh. I go upstairs, feeling justifiably skeptical, and find that my goddamn a/c isn't working. Apparently when they were checking everything over oh-so-carefully, they missed the fact that it's ninety fucking degrees in my house.
I stomp downstairs and tell caretaker I have no a/c. He looks worried and says he'll call Landlord. Landlord tells him to go buy some new breakers and see if changing them will help. Of course it doesn't. Then, FINALLY, they call the electrician they should have called a week ago. But whether one can actually get out here on a weekend is a real toss-up. I may be without a/c in humid Florida weather for at least 48 hours.
If there were even the tiniest bit of doubt that I need to move ASAP, this has removed it. My mother thinks I should move in December, and though it would be better logistically to wait until next June, I am seriously considering it. I think I've already stayed here way too long. And to be honest, I don't think I can take another nine or ten months of this.
no subject
Date: 2012-09-08 09:27 pm (UTC)I can only hope that the A/C gets fixed quickly and that you have fans in the meantime.
If it's not going to be fixed quickly, maybe you could ask your landlord to pay for a hotel room?
Heat sickness is serious business.
Sending hugs--no, wait--sending popsicles!
-samandriel, whose iPad cannot remember her lj login
no subject
Date: 2012-09-08 09:37 pm (UTC)A properly-run apartment complex will probably be better. I lived for 15 years in one, and except for the last few years (when the place was bought out and everything went to hell) people came when asked, they fixed things, and the things stayed fixed.
no subject
Date: 2012-09-08 10:43 pm (UTC)Good thoughts, Chase.
no subject
Date: 2012-09-08 11:40 pm (UTC)Mark my words.
no subject
Date: 2012-09-09 06:16 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2012-09-09 01:34 pm (UTC)I'm not even angry anymore, just exhausted. I want this over.
no subject
Date: 2012-09-09 01:35 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2012-09-09 01:35 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2012-09-09 01:36 pm (UTC)Next time, I'm going for the balls and the eyes.
no subject
Date: 2012-09-09 01:36 pm (UTC)